Author Topic: '79 CX 500 Cafe'  (Read 4340 times)

bofud

'79 CX 500 Cafe'
« on: December 05, 2012, 09:57:11 PM »
Well here i go
 Decided to build a custom. Never done one before. More into the resto side of motorbikes. Anyhow ,got the bug to build one while waiting on parts for the other project (900). Picked up a couple of CX Honda -500.
 Stripped the CX 500 - other one is a Silverwing-both are 79's. Photos attached. Have a bunch of parts already. The CX i'm workin on had a Vetter on it, if any one wants it PM me it's yours. Got a good airbox and various parts i'm not gonna use , give me a shout if you want them.
 I know a few other guys are fiddlin with the same type M/C so will be watchin to steal ideas. Will continue to post on this thread as i progress . Comments are welcome as well as ideas to help me along.
  The Silverwing will be and is a parts bike. Got it as you see it in the photos. Don't know what i will be using from it yet but anything i don't need is up for grabs.
 Bofud

[attachment deleted by admin due to full attachment storage]

benwaechter

Re: '79 CX 500 Cafe'
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »
Did both bikes run? I am looking for a running engine with some mounts on the front. I have a running engine with broken Mounts on the front.  Also what is a vetter ?

Fritz

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 01:11:10 AM »

Looks interesting Bofud...Will enjoy watching where you go with this one....
You gonna need to build another DogHouse?

Also what is a vetter ?
-----Think WindJammer Fairing....I have one on My Suzuki Black Rat GS1100....Looks ugly But works Really good when Travelling in these Northen Parts of the world...Unless you have the cool Streamlined looking ones....
I like to think of Craig Vetter as in the Vetter BSA.......Triumph X75 Hurricane......
http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2012/01/01/hmn_feature11.html

bofud

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 01:14:23 AM »
Sorry, assume everybody knows a vetter ( aftermarket fairing ) that people bought for a lot of dough and went crusin with. Craig Vetter was a producer of aftermarket products for a lot of different bikes in the 70's and 80's . He also produced body kits and had a hand in the design of the Triumph Hurricane.
 Dunno if the Silverwing runs , have no tank and wiring is a rats nest. The CX ,i did fire up after hunting down a key. Carbs were leaking bad and r/h cylinder was strugglin. But will work on it slowly.
 The silverwing did turn over by hand and i spun it by starter as well .
 What do you mean by front mounts?
 Bofud

bofud

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 01:19:01 AM »
Fritz
 You beat me to the reply by a couple sec's.
    I got a great idea for the colors --- Think ____" I don't want a pickle , I just wanna ride my motorcicle "
 Bofud

Rusty Bucket

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 02:59:41 AM »
Excellent start, bofud - the early model's silver Comstars and the Standard (and Deluxe) model's larger tank are the way I would want to go.  I like it already - though I have always been keen on them.  Too bad Honda didn't see fit to put the brake caliper bosses on both fork legs (on NA bikes), I always felt mine was underbraked (when I had one), a problem the later GL would not share, I guess... anyone in need/want of a set of 33mm CX500 forks/triples and/or standard/Deluxe taillight should let me know, you can have 'em.

I have had this pic on the laptop for yonks now, if I post it, I can finally delete it from my hard drive...

[attachment deleted by admin due to full attachment storage]

bofud

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »
Rusty Bucket
 That is exactly what i want .There are a few differences . The new battery technologies will help me with a diff position but basically same look. Thanks for the inspiration. I will be lookin at that photo more than a few times.
 Bofud